Friday, May 15, 2009

Workboxes Day 2!!!




Just to wrap up Day 1 of workboxing it went fantastic. Better than I could have hoped for! I was able to focus on working with my 5 year old and my 3 year old was actually occupied and content doing his own "schoolwork." Below is a list of what I included in day 1 workboxes for my 5 year old. We are using My Fathers World curriculum which is so easy to teach using the workbox system! Our letter of the week is S so our activities are centered around that. We only got through 6 boxes today, but we spent a lot of time on science!! We are building up to the 12 boxes slowly but surely.

Day 1- Workboxes for 5 year old
Box 1: Lesson on Sun -tracing tactile S
Box 2: Calender -I use the calender by having him circle the date and as a weather chart. He draws a picture of the current weather. I then have him do copywork in a notebook. He writes the day, month, and year.
Box 3: Science- Oil & water don't mix. We used eye droppers and I gave him a small cup of water as well as a small cup of oil. We added food coloring as well for fun
Box 4: Gym- Went to a local field and played baseball and catch
Box 5: Color/Cut out words that begin with S to make an S Book
Box 6: Cuisenaire Rods and Workbook
Box 7: Practice tying shoe laces
Box 8: Computer time @ Starfall.com


Day 2 Workboxes for 5 year old
Box 1: Lesson from MFW workbook
Box 2: Worksheet-practice letter S and Sound discrimination worksheet also #1
Box 3: Calender (explained up above)
Box 4: Jello-Jigglers- We went through our box of Cookie Cutters the kids had to find cutters that began with S. Then we made Jello-Jigglers!
Box 5: Science- I had frozen small rocks in cups of ice. I put their blocks of ice onto a cookie sheet and gave him a hammer. He had predicted if the rocks would break and how
Box 6: Art-I had traced a large S on a piece of paper. He ripped up yellow squares of paper and glues them to the S.
Box 7: Computer time; starfall.com
Box 8: Practice tying shoelaces
Box 9: I cut out shapes in different colors and put numbers 1-5 on the back. I called out a shape/color/or number and he had to race to the appropriate space before I caught him. (it was raining today so this got out some energy!!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just started with workboxes too. I love the sizes of your bins. Was it a set at Target or did you get different pieces and fit it together? If is was a set, what was the name of it, so I can check whether our target carries it?

Keep up the great work!!

wdworkman said...

I'm using workboxes with an 11 yob. Yours look like so much fun. - Almost makes me want to do kindergarten again.
Janet
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/wdworkman/

Dalton Gang said...

Thanks for sharing. I also have a 5 and 3 year old and started workboxes with them yesterday. I love them so far! http://daltongang1.blogspot.com/